In the beginning, most cars come with what is referred to as the “new car smell.” However, there are some car odours and smells that you should not ignore. These odours could be hinting at a fault or malfunction in the car, you should be able to recognize these. The experts at CarSwitch.com, an online marketplace for used cars for sale, can help you figure out the source of those suspicious car odours!
Recognizing these odours and knowing what they mean can save you a lot of money in the long run. It is better to be cautious than sorry! The executive director of Car Care Council states, “Unusual smells can be the sign of serious, and potentially costly, trouble for your vehicle. By acting quickly and making necessary repairs, you’ll be able to breathe easy knowing there is no harmful damage to your car,”
- The particularly nasty odour of burnt rubber is strong and can be smelled from meters away. This is an indication of slipping drive belts, it could also be that loose hoses have been misplaced and are rubbing against other parts of the car such as rotating accessory drive pulleys. However, in this case, do not stick your head close to the engine compartment, especially if it appears to be hot.
- You should also pay attention to the smell of hot oil. This indicates that oil is leaking and seeping into the exhaust system. To make sure there is a leak, look for signs of oil droplets on the pavement. The smoke exiting from the engine could also carry hints of oil leakage.
- Another strong smell is that of gasoline. This could mean that there has been a gas leak in parts of your car like the fuel injector line, it might also indicate a leak in the fuel tank. This can be dangerous if ignored because it can lead to a possible fire breakout.
- The scent of sweet syrup indicates that your vehicle is leaking engine coolant. This might be seeping from your vehicle’s cooling system. In case the radiator cap is warm, do not touch or open it.
- The strong smell of fabric or carpet burning can indicate brake difficulties. This could possibly lead to a safety hazard. In case you feel this smell, you should get your brakes tested and checked immediately. This smell during normal driving could indicate a serious danger.
- Last but not the least is the smell of rotten eggs. If you notice this horrible stink coming from your car, it could indicate that the catalytic converter is not turning hydrogen sulfide that is in the exhaust to sulfur dioxide adequately. This horrible smell could also be a poor engine since this can cause the catalytic converter to wear out due to overload and consequently fail to perform its functions.
In case you notice these odours coming from anywhere in your car, you should not ignore these and immediately consult a mechanic. Most of these damages can be timely repaired and will cost you less money in the long run. Stay alert!
If you want a well-maintained and quality assured used cars for sale, hop onto CarSwitch.com. We do all the heavy lifting for both buyers and sellers of used cars in Dubai, Sharjah, and Abu Dhabi, while they sit back, relax, and get the best possible deal from the comfort of their homes.